16 August 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Creatures in YA

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's subject is:

Top Ten Favourite Creatures in YA

1. Shapeshifters. 
I love shapeshifters of any kind, whether they're werewolves, werecats, Changelings (from Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling novels) and I really believe there should be more of them in YA literature. I'd love to be a shapeshifter, and if I could choose what kind that would be an added bonus. I'd so be a panther.
2. Ghosts. 
Do these really count as creatures? I don't know, but I've read a few books featuring them recently, and I loved them! I hadn't read many books about ghosts before, because they tend to creep me out. I am convinced that my stepmum's house is haunted. But still, I find ghosts and spirits fascinating! 
3. Mermaids
I admit, I haven't read any mermaid YA book yet. At least, not unless you count Disney's The Little Mermaid which I read when I was younger. I often dreamt about being a mermaid after watching that episode of Charmed, and I find them to be really interesting creatures - especially when they turn out to be evil! 
4. Fairies.
These little sprites are everywhere at the moment. I'd honestly be surprised if you tell me you haven't read a fairy book yet. I love fairy lore, and whether they're tiny pixies or in human form, fairies are magical.
5. Vampires. 
I've probably given the impression that I dislike vampires, but that definitely is not the case. I actually love them, when they're done right. My only problem with them is that they're way overdone nowadays, and I've found they can often be thrown in to the story for no apparent reason. That said, I absolutely love what Richelle Mead did with her vampires. She used a mixture of Romanian folklore to develop the Strigoi and Moroi in her books, and the results were fantastic!
6. Zombies. 
Ever since my uncle forced me to watch Dawn of the Dead when I was 6 (which took me a whole year to get over, by the way. I had to ask my auntie to walk upstairs with me and everything...), I've been fascinated by zombies. Whether they're the intelligent type, or the classic eat-your-brains creatures, they're brilliant. I also love the post-apocalyptic story they often come with.
7. Demons.
There aren't many demon books out there right now, are there? Which is a shame, because I love the buggers. Maybe that's because of my obsession with Supernatural, but I really enjoy reading about all sorts of demons and demonic possessions. Especially when hot, demon boys turn 'good'.
8. Dragons.
Again, there aren't many books in YA focussed on dragons. But I wish there were! Ever since Charlie Weasley brought those dragons to Hogwarts, I've loved them. They're beautiful creatures, and I think there should definitely be more novels based on them! 
Books to look out for: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

9. Angels. 
These are everywhere, like the Fae. The best thing about them is that there are so many different types. There are fallen angels (Patch!), guardian angels, half-angels, warrior angels... The list goes on. There are so many different things that can be done with them, and they're not always saints. *Looks pointedly at Patch again*
Books to look out for: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, Angelfire by Courtney Moulton

10. Unicorns. 
No, I haven't read any books about unicorns yet, but I certainly plan to! Unfortunately, there are only two books that I am aware of that feature these creatures. Aside from Harry Potter, that is. I think unicorns are beautiful, but then again, Diana Peterfreund proves that they're not always that way. As does Danny from the Gradual Report, but that's another matter entirely. 
Books to look out for: Rampant by Diana Peterfreund.

7 comments:

  1. Read Zombies vs Unicorns! Thats two out of your favourite creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to try Daughters of the Sea by Kathryn Lasky - great mermaid YA book.

    Here's my top ten: http://booksmemesmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-ten-tuesday-my-favorite-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shapeshifters are my #1 favorite too. I also like fae.
    Here my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT list! I'm not a huge unicorn fan, they kinda weird me out. haha! But I looove ZOMBIES!! Happy Tuesday!


    Check out Sash's Top Ten Guys Who Didn't Get The Girl!
    Also check out our GREAT giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love angels, faeries, and mermaids :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes writing is a little immature but I still love her stories. I like how it blends all the aspects of the vampire world and other supernatural creatures. Great list.
    You should check out my blogs if you've got time I think you'll like them.
    Book blog:
    http://theperfectherlad.blogspot.com/
    Poetry blog:
    http://annaaainafairytalee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!