03 October 2011

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

If I Die by Rachel Vincent
Soul Screamers #5
Release Date: September 27, 2011 (US)
Publisher: Harlequin
Rating: All Time Favourite 


The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee. 


Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck…before he discovers they aren't quite human, either. 

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything. - Goodreads
I really shouldn't write reviews for this series, because I end up squealing over it and never get across the points that I wanted to make. Nonetheless, I just had to jot down my thoughts on Rachel Vincent’s new book, as it’s my favourite series and I must share the love. Please don’t take this review too seriously, like I said, I’m just jotting! There will be no spoilers in this review. I may actually record a video review containing spoilers, because I need to discuss this book!

As always, the newest book in the Soul Screamers series totally tops its predecessor in so many ways. The plot is amazing, the characters are swoon worthy slash lovable slash people I want to kill, and the writing was – of course – incredible.

If you’ve read the synopsis then you know that Kaylee finds out she’s going to die. This book would not be complete without even more complications that come in the form of Kaylee and Emma’s teach, Mr Beck, who isn’t really human. There are also weird things happening with young girls in and around the town. Sound complicated, right? That’s because it is. There are so many things going on in this book, and yet it never seems to get ‘crowded’, for want of a better word. The plot is perfect, along with the pacing.

Kaylee is awesome, as always. I love her so, so much, and I loved reading about her coming to terms with her death – kind of – whilst also trying to figure out a number of mysteries at the same time. Kaylee is definitely one of my favourite characters in YA, she’s just fantastic! She’s also pretty badass in this book with all the fighting and punching she does!

I don’t think I even need to go into what I think about Tod. You should all know he’s amazing, and that I am in love with him. He was so, so sweet in this book! He does so much for Kaylee in this book, while his brother just stands around being useless. I love him *happy tears* He is the most adorable thing on the planet, he really is. *swoons*

As for Nash... I hate him. Nothing has changed since my last review so I don’t need to go into detail, but as far as I’m concerned Sabine can have him. Oh! I really liked Sabine in this book! She’s not as bad as I once thought.

The ending was definitely the best part of the book. It starts to really pick up with around 100 pages to go, and just keeps building. I will warn you, you are going to cry. I had to go to school with puffy eyes because I had been crying so much the night before after finishing this book. No, I won’t tell you why I was crying – you’ll have to go and buy the book, because it just won’t be the same coming from me!

I was so nervous about reading this book after reading some of the non-spoilery reviews that are on Goodreads. So. Nervous. But I shouldn’t have worried, because the whole thing was incredible and mind-blowing. It’s my favourite book in the series so far! I don’t know if Before I Wake and the final book will be able to compare. Oh, this was great.

If you haven’t picked up this series yet, I seriously don’t know what you’re waiting for. It’s my favourite series ever, and definitely compares with Vampire Academy and The Hunger Games’ qualities. Go get it!

Favourite Quotes:
“Why are you dressed like a mad scientist?”
“You just say the word, and I’ll make the rest of the world go away. I’ll take you someplace safe where no one else can reach us.”
“I’m every bit as good as you think I am.”
“I’m dead, not impotent. Nasty rumours like that must be quashed before they gain momentum. Feel free to emphasise how very functional I am.”

2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this book! I still need to read books 3&4 though. :) Hopefully I can get to it soon! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christy, they're amazing! Book 3 is when everything starts to change, so I can't wait to see what you think of it! Ah! They're great XD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!