31 January 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

Legend by Marie Lu
Legend #1
Release Date: February 2, 2012
Publisher: Puffin
Source: Publisher
Rating: Essential


Born into the slums of Los Angeles, fifteen-year old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. A mysterious boy with no recorded image or fingerprints. A boy who should no longer exist. A boy who watches over his family until one evening, when the plague patrols mark his family's door with an X--the sign of plague infection. A death sentence for any family too poor to afford the antidote. Desperate, Day has no choice; he must steal it.

Born to an elite family in Los Angeles' wealthy Ruby sector, fifteen-year old June is the Republic's most promising prodigy. A superintelligent girl destined for great things in the country's highest military circles. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country--until the day her brother Metias is murdered while on patrol during a break-in at the plague hospital.

Only one person could be responsible.

Day.

And now it's June's mission to hunt him down.

The truth they'll uncover will become legend. - Goodreads
Legend was action packed from the word go. I loved the action, the drama and the humour that was rolled into one in this book. Marie Lu did a fantastic job of balancing all these elements and carving a fascinating and gripping story.

Lu has created a really well thought-out story with Legend. Things pop up in the final few chapters that were briefly mentioned right at the beginning. The smallest thing ties in with the plot so well, and there are no loose ends left to be tied.

The world that these characters live in is as fascinating as the characters themselves. I am a sucker for a good dystopian world, and Marie Lu didn't disappoint. Details of the world were revealed as the story progressed, and there are still lots of things left to build upon in the next books in the trilogy. I'm really looking forward to learning more because I think there is still so much history to be explored.

I loved both Day and June and reading from their alternating points of view was a great experience. I love how clever both of them are, and I love their similar traits and their individual personalities and views. There were times when I went from hating June to loving her again within a couple of chapters - I won't give any spoilers!

I am so happy that Lu wrote such well rounded and complex characters. Day provided some great humour at times with his sarcastic dialogue, and I was laughing out loud quite a bit during this book! Day and June's stories start of separately, and they begin to merge about a third of the way through. This is when I got completely hooked on the story and I couldn't put the book down.

I do feel that their relationship progressed a bit too quickly for my liking. I enjoy a good build up, and while there was no insta-love, they did 'fall for' (their words, not mine) each other quickly. They were also quick to forgive each other for various things, whereas I was expecting some underlying hatred to make its way to the surface for various reasons towards the end.

The ending of the novel was fantastic. It had me on the edge of my seat, and it even made me cry a couple of times. The book doesn't end in a major cliffhanger, which I am happy with and yet it doesn't stop me from wanting to read the next book NOW! I think if there had been a giant cliffhanger, I would be pulling my hair out (Delirium, anyone?)

I can only hope that the next book is going to be this amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am really looking forward to seeing where there Day and June will go next. I also need to know what happens with a certain 9-year old character, as it seems as though Day and June are leaving him/her/it *tries to remain spoiler-free*

I think every dystopian fan should give this book a chance. The plot isn't completely unique, but the world holds its own and is like nothing I've ever read before.

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I just finished Legend last weekend and posted about it on my blog. I can't wait for the second book! I think we'll find out more about the other side and that'll be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to read your review now. I can't wait to find out more. This world is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I too loved Legend. I thought the characters felt very true and real, the whole plot had my blood pumping, but I do agree when you say that the love progressed too quickly. I wanted either more resistance to the attraction or more scenes where they got to know each other. I think that would have made it feel a bit more realistic. Overall I thought it was fantastic and I can't wait for a sequel ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. More resistance and sexual tension would have been great. I'm a sucker for slow build ups!

      Delete
  3. I reviewed this one this week too! And I LOVED it--especially the characters. Love June and Day....Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Day and June were really great, I agree. I especially liked the whole rogue thing Day had going on :D

      Delete
  4. This is definitely on my TBR list. I love that it has good world building! I've read a few dystopians lately that didn't have very good world building and so I am in desperate need for a dystopian with good world building instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This world is AWESOME. I loved it so much. It wasn't OTT either, which is something that I really enjoyed. Totally believable.

      Delete
  5. I was unsure about whether I would enjoy this book or not but your review highlights everything I love. I will definitely be picking it up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!