14 April 2012

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows



Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
Newsoul #1
Release Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Rating: Enjoyable


New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all? - Goodreads

I feel a little let down by Incarnate, given the hype surrounding this novel before its release. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not one of my favourites and I had problems with a few things.

Firstly, I absolutely loved the world it was set in. It was fascinating to read about, and there were so many new things to see and learn. I really hope we explore more of this world in the next book in the series, otherwise I'll be very disappointed!

There were lots of questions that were brought up in this book, and by the end a lot of them had been answered but so many more had been discovered! I have mixed feelings about this, as it leaves a lot of room for the sequel, but I am dying to know what the heck is going on because I honestly have no clue!

I liked the main character, Ana, and felt sorry for her because of the way Li had brought her up. I did get quite annoyed by her temper tantrums that happened not just in the beginning, but throughout the whole book.

I'm confused about how I feel about Sam. He was really sweet at times, but he was also moody and annoyingly secretive. He was a 5000 year old bloke in an 18 year old body, and I have to admit that I had trouble with his and Ana's relationship because, come on, she was 4982 years younger than him.

The writing style was good, but I wasn't a fan of how most of the dialogue was written. It was very wooden, and drawn out and I think there could have been a more simple way to say things that would have worked better.

Overall, it was a good book, and I'll definitely be reading the sequel because I love the world and the soul concept in general. I'm not sure about Janan, or any of that, but I look forward to finding out more!


2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of the hype about this novel is about that cover- it's gorgeous! I liked what you said about this novel and I'm definitely intrigued about the world it is set in now. I just got this so i'm keen to read it now. Although I hate annoying characters... we'll see.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your honesty. I still haven't read it yet, but hope to get to it sometime this year. So far I've heard many amazing things about INCARNATE, but at the same time there were also many mixed reviews, saying similar things like you. I'm definitely looking forward to find out what I'll think about it.

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!