13 September 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang



What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang
The Hybrid Chronicles #1
Release Date: September 27, 2012 (UK)
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Source: Publisher
Rating: Enjoyable


NEVER LET ME GO meets HIS DARK MATERIALS in a beautiful, haunting YA debut, the first book in The Hybrid Chronicles.

Eva and Addie live in a world where everyone is born with two souls, but where only the dominant one is allowed to survive childhood. Fifteen years old, and closer even than twins, the girls are keeping Eva, the ‘second soul’, a secret. They know that it’s forbidden to be hybrid, but how could they ever be apart?

When a dramatic event reveals what really happens to hybrids if they are discovered, Eva and Addie face a dangerous fight for survival, neither wanting to be the one left behind… - Goodreads

What first caught my eye about this novel was the interesting concept of two souls sharing a body. The whole idea of the government going after the anomalies (those with recessive souls that had not faded away) was so intriguing and kind of exciting, in a way. What would happen to the siblings once they were taken away? And what does happen once a soul fades, anyway? Are they lost forever, or can they all be coaxed back? The idea of a child completely disappearing after spending several years with their siblings and parents is scary.


Eva and Addie were both adorable, and I loved them from the very first page. The thing I liked most about them was their relationship with each other. Sure, they'd get into some disagreements and fall out, but they'd always come back to each other. They loved each other so much, and it made me want to run and hug my little sister after I read some of the scenes in this novel.

Interestingly, What's Left of Me is written from the point of view of Eva, the recessive soul who can't do anything except watch and 'talk' as her sister controls their body. I thought this was a fantastic choice by the author, because I think if the novel had been written in Addie's POV - or even alternated between the two - I don't think it would have had the same effect.

The pacing of the novel felt pretty calm throughout the whole thing. Even at the end, when there was a little bit of action going on, I never really felt that exhilirating feeling that I get when really great novels reach their peak.

I'll definitely be reading the second book in the series, because I really want to know what happens to Eva and Addie, as I've grown slightly attached. I also want to know what happened to some of the other characters as well, although I can't say who because that would spoil you! I am hoping that one of the characters who appeared towards the end of the novel will have a bigger role in the sequel, because I am really intrigued by them. I'm crossing my fingers!


0 replies:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!