02 May 2013

2013 Debut Showcase: May


The purpose of this feature is to show you guys which YA debuts I'm most looking forward to, and which ones I've enjoyed. Hopefully it'll also help build some buzz around some of these debuts. There will be one post at the beginning of each month showing the top three upcoming debuts I'm most looking forward to and excited for, and it will also wrap up the previous month by showing which debuts I read and enjoyed.

So, without further ado, here are the April debuts that I have read, and my thoughts on them in a couple of sentences.

The ass of a main character was the only one who was actually developed - everything and everyone else fell flat.
Had potential, but ultimately had very little going for it. It was more of a high school drama set in a shopping mall while the world was ending.

Book of the Month! I really enjoyed this one, mostly because of Rue and his sexy self.
This one made me RAGE. The main character is an abusive *bleep* and should throw himself off a cliff.

A creepy yet predictable debut... Not sure how the sequel is going to go, but I'm looking forward to it!

I didn't manage to get to any of the ones that I featured last month, since my review pile is a bit crazy right now. I'm definitely going to get to them soon, though!

May Debuts

2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.


She’s been six different people in six different places: Madeline in Ohio, Isabelle in Missouri, Olivia in Kentucky . . . But now that she’s been transplanted to rural Louisiana, she has decided that this fake identity will be her last.

Witness Protection has taken nearly everything from her. But for now, they’ve given her a new name, Megan Rose Jones, and a horrible hair color. For the past eight months, Meg has begged her father to answer one question: What on earth did he do – or see – that landed them in this god-awful mess? Meg has just about had it with all the Suits’ rules — and her dad’s silence. If he won’t help, it’s time she got some answers for herself.

But Meg isn’t counting on Ethan Landry, an adorable Louisiana farm boy who’s too smart for his own good. He knows Meg is hiding something big. And it just might get both of them killed. As they embark on a perilous journey to free her family once and for all, Meg discovers that there’s only one rule that really matters — survival.


On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.

Honourable Mentions

11 comments:

  1. Yikes, I was really looking forward to Taken! Going to be more wary of that one... The Rules for Disappearing sounds like an awesome contemp that will *hopefully* make me think. Need something to power my brain a little after the crazy month of April!

    I love this debut feature, Amber! Short, sweet and I get the general feel for each debut, going to shift them around the TBR pile accordingly

    -DETERMINED LOOK-

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Taken at all. Judith @ Paper Riot says that The Rules for Disappearing was great, so I am DYING to dive into that one. I might even switch it for The End Games tonight!

      Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying the feature and that you're finding it useful!

      Delete
  2. So many amazing books being released! I devour creepy books so I'm looking forward to reading The End Games and Truth or Dare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer months are AMAZING for new releases, this year especially. I'm so excited!

      Delete
  3. I have The Madman's Daughter on my shelf to read. I have been interested in Taken and haven't heard it described that way yet. I am interested to see if I agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Madman's Daughter was a really good read! I hope you like it as much as I did. It wasn't as creepy as everyone was saying, but it was still kind of eerie. And weird science tests freak me out a bit, not gonna lie. Oh, I'll definitely be looking out for your views on Taken!

      Delete
  4. I am VERY in love with Rue. It's on the verge of becoming an obsession.

    I KNOWWWWWWWWWWW. Wait, you didn't read it thoroughly the first time? RUDE! ;D Gray is THE WORST. I'd take Edward Cullen over him.

    Ha, I think this is one of the only times we Brits are considered lucky this year in terms of new releases. You could always order from Book Depository if you're desperate and manage to fit it into your review schedule!

    I wish I had How My Summer Went Up in Flames but I must wait and buy it instead. Hopefully very soon, since I am EXCITED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had issues with Monument 14 and Taken too, I was really disappointed with the way Taken ended up, as I had such high hopes for it too. I can't wait to see how you get on with your May reads, Acid sounds fantastic! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hopes for Taken were sky-high. Mostly because of the cover, though! Thanks Jasprit! I'm so excited for May.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard many good things about Taken which makes me sad...still going to read it though to see what all the talk is about. I am really looking forward to The End Games! Many others are on my TBR list as well. I love how honest and cut-throat your reviews are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read The Summer I Became a Nerd! and I'm sad you didn't like Monument 14 because i REALLY liked it and LOVED the sequel! I think you would like the sequel way more than this one. I will have to check out Arclight since you enjoyed it so much

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!