08 October 2013

Top Ten Best and Worst Series Enders

Top Ten Best and Worst Series Enders

Tatum and I had to team up this week because I a) couldn't think of ten, and b) I had a slight breakdown over Spartacus. Still, we couldn't come up with ten books between us because clearly we suck at finishing series. We did, however, think up some, and I brought a TV show into the mix, AND I saved you from Tatum's initial spoilery rant about Clockwork Princess. You are welcome.
Best
Tatum: The Ring is destroyed and after a long journey four Hobbits return home. I just really love how everything is tied up in the final chapters - Frodo remains scarred from his brush with evil, Pippin and Merry stand taller and Sam comes back wiser and sadder than before. And that final moment with the four of them at the docks has ruined my life forever.
Amber: Before I got to this book, I just thought this series was good. It was drama-filled, it passed the time, I liked the characters... It was an enjoyable series. But then Here Without You happened and it ruined my life. I'm trying to make Tatum read this series, because I know it will kill her too. I'm such a good friend.
Amber: Did you mean, Harry Potter and the Favourite Character Deaths?
Amber: I really liked Unravelling, but Unbreakable blew that out of the water. Elizabeth Norris did some brave, brutal, and rather evil things with this one. It's had a lasting effect on me, and I honestly don't think I'll ever be over it. Ms. Norris, welcome to my autobuy list.
Spartacus: War of the Damned, Episode 10, Victory
Amber: Who ever said this was a book blog? Certainly not me. Anyway, as I'm sure you're all aware, Spartacus is my all time favourite TV show. Ever since I discovered it back in 2011, I have been a superfan. The series - through the storylines, the writing, the cast and crew, the characters - has taught me so much about the world and about myself. I think that, despite this being a bookish list, Spartacus and Victory deserve a mention. This show is the most beautiful story that I have ever had the pleasure of seeing unfold, and I recommend it to everyone. I think it is severely underrated. If you've heard that this is just a show about sex and blood, you are wrong. So very wrong.
Here, have some gifs.
Worst
Amber: What even was this ending? It made no sense, it didn't wrap up the series at all, and I was left confused, annoyed, and honestly hurt that someone would choose to end a series this way. It felt like the author was planning a sequel, and to make the world bigger, but .... no.
Tatum: THE ENDING IS A COPOUT: 
Will and Jem never have sex, their bond is broken, and then Will went and died. Oh, and Tessa gets to live forever. Because of course she does.

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Tatum: Breaking Dawn is like a million pages long but all that happens after the build-up is a stand-off in which the flop vampires stare each other down and then after exchanging some boring insults everyone decides to go home. Happy Ever After, I guess????

13 comments:

  1. I have some mixed feelings about Breaking Dawn. Where I hate the series as a whole, I thought that this was the best book, but also the worst. Meyer took the series to a darker, more mature place, which I appreciated, but fuck that non-climax. So underwhelming, even for her shitty books. So funny that the filmmakers had to CHANGE the entire fucking ending to make it even remotely interesting.

    Gah, I'm so happy that series is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the disappointment that was Breaking Dawn.. What was that nonsense? I remember being so incredibly frustrated by that book and that was even before I started blogging. I have yet to watch the movie, part 2, but my friend tells me they changed it a bit so that it actually has a somewhat decent ending (as far as that was possible with this series).

    Feedback was a disappointment after the epicness that was Variant. I still enjoyed it, but I was left with a 'what the fuck was this shit?'-feeling when I finished. Not in a good way..

    And because I like to voice my opinion when it isn't asked, I'd add We'll Always Have Summer to the WORST list. I want to beat the book to a pulp with a baseball bat. Completely distroyed the series. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, I fear I'll be seeing lots of Breaking Dawn on the least favourite lists. And for good reason. That was a terrible book. I only really like Eclipse in that series, so you can imagine my excitement when the last book came out...only to be completely let down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of all the people that could put a list together for this TTT. I don't think I've ever completed more than 4 series. Oops. haha Oh, and I totally have to watch Spartacus now! You make it sound so good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on Infernal Devices, I actually didn't like the trilogy in general, but the epilogue especially annoyed me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah maybe I need to read Unravelling. Maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breaking Dawn is so bad. Have it on my worst list too. I really liked Clockwork Princess UNTIL the epilogue which felt like a cop-out to me too. I have it listed as a best just because I really loved it until then.

    My Friends Are Fiction's TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, that would be a great tagline on the Harry Potter cover. It's a perfect book and a great ending <3 I haven't read the LOTR books (tried, but failed 3 times halfway the first book, so I kind of gave up) but I adore the movies and I like how everything wraps up :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha. I put Unbreakable as having the best and kinda-worse series ending. You know why I think it's the best - it's also the worse because of the deaths. -sobs- ):
    And ugh, that Clockwork Princess ending. I peeked at it and I gagged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clockwork Princess was on my best list, actually. I loved the epilogue and I thought it fit the love triangle perfectly. But I definitely know there are very different viewpoints about that! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put down LotR on my list as well. The only problem I have with the book's ending is the Scouring of the Shire, which kinda seemed anti-climactic and unnecessary. But the rest is just so, so good. And yes! That's how I felt about Clockwork Princess. I liked Tessa at first, but as the series went on I got more and more annoyed with how very special she is. She doesn't deserve Jem OR Will, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I completely agree with the Harry Potter title...It is HEARTBREAKING...I'm kind of meh-ish about starting the Variant series now.. I've been wanting to read it but now I'm a bit worried if the ending is THAT bad...! Great TTT!

    Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Lord of the Rings ending is one of the best ever, same goes for Harry Potter even though lots of people I know didn't like it as much. It is fabulous, they don't know what they're talking about. Breaking Dawn is so bad it's hilarious and even the movie was better because everyone died. Unfortunately, it was fake. Oh well. And I'm excited for Unbreakable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!