15 October 2013

Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" to Read


Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" to Read
In a vague order this time. I tried.

1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

My cousin decided I had to read this book she'd just finished, because I would 'love' it. My life has been in a downward spiral since I read the words 'My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. ' Will I ever be over this book? I don't think so.

2. Haunted by Kelley Armstrong.

I actually mean the entire Women of the Otherworld series but since I just finished this book, which is the fifth in the series, I figured I'd go with this one. I was forced into reading this series by Lauren because they're basically her favourite books ever; she was genuinely horrified that I'd never heard of Kelley Armstrong and would just yell at me every night until I finally bought the first book. She's now alternating between shouting at me to finish the series and shouting at Amber to start it XD
legit harassed into starting this series by

3. The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong.

Lauren RUINED MY LIFE by making me start The Darkest Powers trilogy, I swear to God. I will never recover from what these books did to me ;___________; Derek and Chloe are the worst couple in the history of universe, making me cry hysterically at one o'clock in the morning with their STUPID FACES and stubborn love and their perfection. I hate them so much *clings to books while rocking*

4. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson.

The characters Calvin, a six year old boy with a deeply cynical outlook on life, and Hobbes, his stuffed tiger that 'comes to life' around him, are named after a theologian and a philosopher, which should pretty much tell you what their interactions are like and why I love it so much. My brother told me to read it because we pretty much share the same sense of humour and opinions. Our copies of Calvin and Hobbes have been a ridiculous amount of times, to the point where pages have started to fall out.

5. Altered by Jennifer Rush.

Amber talked me into reading this book, I think before she'd even finished it? I basically want to sandwich myself between all the fabulous dudes in this book because they're so wonderful and sassy and earnest and heartbreaking. And my ships are perfect: Sam/Anna is so bittersweet; they make me cry a lot. Also Nick/Anna, which should happen y/y?

5. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.

Required reading for a feminism module in my second year of university, The Yellow Wallpaper was probably one of the most shocking stories I'd ever read; it ended up being featured heavily in my work for that module because I found that I had so much to say about it. English is glorious tbh.

6. If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.

Recommended, probably while cackling evilly, to me by Judith. Read it, she said. You'll enjoy it, she said. She LIED.

7. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson.

Amber made me read it because she obviously hates me. Bloody fireworks and lakehouses and fathers and daughters, I was not prepared. And neither was my pillow.
8. Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock.

How many times is Amber going to show up on this list, I wonder? She's either very persuasive or I'm easily convinced but either way, this was a great book. It was a bit like Veronica Mars, except with werewolves. Also Kyle/Mac. FEELS.

9. Strange Meeting by Susan Hill.

Part of our reading list for WWI literature in college, this book is centred around the close relationship between two very different soldiers while in the trenches. Looking back, there was probably a lot of subtext going on there. 

10. The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

One of the books we studied at GCSE level, The Crucible is still something I think about every so often. Miller used the Salem witch trials to talk about McCarthyism in America - the play is as much about women as it is about censorship and fear. I loved it.

14 comments:

  1. Muahahahahhaaaaaa

    I should probably check out Kelley Armstrong's book someday since you seem to love them so much. Also, I just finished The Yellow Wallpaper for uni this weekend and it was fabulous! So good. SCS is glorious and terrible and heartbreaking. And yes to Nick/Anna. I don't care for Sam/Anna tbh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BLOGGER, Y U NO USE MY OWN ACCOUNT TO COMMENT

      Delete
    2. Basically, everybody needs to read everything Kelley Armstrong has ever written. NOBODY does female characters like she does, they're all individual, flawed, perfect girls who GET SHIT DONE while the boys just stand around being vaguely useless while still hot enough to want to lick. Anyone who doesn't like these books (either the adult or the YA) are doing opinions wrong tbh. READ THE DAMN BOOKS PEOPLE

      Delete
    3. Did you know Bitten is going to be made into a TV show? http://www.space.ca/Bitten.aspx

      Delete
  2. Lovely Bones was very disturbing, I still think about that book. And I really enjoyed Altered and Second Chance Summer (definitely need a tissue for Second Chance Summer). Great list! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read most of your list but I did read Lovely Bones and am scarred from it. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and yeah, I don't randomly pick up books anymore.

    My Friends Are Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent read any of the books on your list but I'll be checking the out soon. Altered catch my attention, such a cool cover.

    Here is My Top Ten Tuesday
    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOO HOO for caving and reading Altered. I'm a massive book bully for that one. Love that it made your list. And I agree, those boys are YUM!

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Crucible was one of the best things that ever happened to me while in English class. I still think about it from time to time and it's been like, ten years!

    I also loved The Lovely Bones, though I wasn't too fond of the movie adaptation (IMO, it's not the kind of book that needs to be a movie.) And whoever gave you If You Find Me is EVIL. That book will kill a person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to start on Armstrong's books, people keep praising them. :)
    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to check out some of Armstrong's work! You make it sound amazing!

    Great list!
    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many books I need to read! Namely, Altered and The Lovely Bones. I <3 Second Chance Summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. 5. Pretty sure we've discussed how I'm only reading more of this series if it goes Nick/Anna, because, yeah, that needs to happen. Sam is BORING.

    6. People seem to like to make you cry. Speaking of, you should read A Monster Calls and Drowning Instinct, if you haven't. You'll enjoy them. *cackles*

    10. Ew, The Crucible. I hate that play, but I was forced to read it three or four times, so maybe it would have been better if it were just once.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!