07 November 2013

The Trap by Andrew Fukuda

The Trap by Andrew Fukuda
The Hunt #3
Release Date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Source: Publisher
Star Rating: 3
Rating: Enjoyable

After barely escaping the Mission alive, Gene and Sissy face an impossible task: staying alive long enough to stop an entire world bent on their destruction. Bound on a train heading into the unknown with the surviving Mission girls, Gene, Sissy, David, and Epap must stick together and use everything they have to protect each other and their only hope: the cure that will turn the blood-thirsty creatures around them into humans again. Now that they know how to reverse the virus, Gene and Sissy have one final chance to save those they love and create a better life for themselves. But as they struggle to get there, Gene's mission sets him on a crash course with Ashley June, his first love . . . and his deadliest enemy.
The train arrives in the dead of day.
---
As a whole, The Hunt series is a pretty good one. I loved the first book in the series, despite the similarities it shared with The Hunger Games, the second was great, and The Trap wraps things up really well. It concludes all the mysteries from the first two books, and answers most of the questions that I had. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Prey, which is my favourite out of the three, but it was still a good book and it kept me entertained the whole way through.

What I really like about this book is that, like The Prey, there is a fuck load of action. The Hunt was kind of dull in that respect, due to Gene's obsession with Ashley June. The Trap was non-stop action, from the moment the train reached its destination, to the last chapter when everything is turned on its head.

I wasn't a fan of the characters in this book, though. Why are Gene and Sissy so obsessed with each other? WHY. Their entire world seems to revolve around their adoration for each other, and it drove me insane. You couldn't have Gene without Sissy, or Sissy without Gene, which I guess made some sense after the reveal in The Prey that they were two parts of a whole. But still. I would have liked to have seen them individually, and I wanted Gene to have more time thinking about saving the world instead of just Sissy. The romance was just too much.

Ashley June makes another appearance in this one, and I really enjoyed her presence! Much more so than I had expected to. Ashley June made everything much more interesting and exciting, and she caused some speed bumps and road blocks for Gene and Sissy. Not with their romance, but with their lives and mortality instead. It was great. 

I think that the ending will be a hit or miss in general. I personally loved it, and I hadn't seen it coming at all. Andrew Fukuda did something really clever with it, and it made me look at Gene's entire world differently. I do think that some people will find it a bit ridiculous, and they'll perhaps argue that it will make no sense. Whatever, I liked it, this is fiction, and the last couple of pages gave me chills. It was almost enough to make me give this book a higher rating, although not quite.

Overall, while it's nothing outstanding, nor is it my favourite of the trilogy, The Trap is a pretty good ending to an exciting series. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what Andrew Fukuda comes out with next, because he can, at times, write some really great passages, and his action packed plots are fantastic.

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!