26 November 2013

Top Ten Bookish Things I'm Thankful For

Top Ten Bookish Things I'm Thankful For

I think this is a Thanksgiving thing? We don't celebrate it in England but I'm doing this TTT because it looked like it could be fun :)

As usual the only order this is in is order of remembrance XD

1. All the friends I have who love reading as much as I do.

That includes Judith, Dee (who is currently in denial about how helpful we are), Lauren and of course, Amber. I love that we're constantly recommending books to each other, and I know if I read a good book Amber's always around to be yelled at about how good it was; she is remarkably patient with me tbh. It's been fun getting to know Judith although her taste in books and talent for book pushing has not been good for my mental health tbh.

2. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.

If I do nothing else in my life but convince people to read this amazing, wonderful, tragic novel I will die knowing I achieved something meaningful. It is that good.

3. Patrick Ness.

Am I thankful for his existence or is it a form of Stockholm Syndrome because he RUINED MY LIFE, I just don't know. All I know is that the Chaos Walking trilogy has been the worst best thing to ever happen to me and after reading Monsters of Men I had to take time out just to sob my heart out. He is an evil genius, it is known

4. Frances Hardinge.

If you don't know her, Frances Hardinge is an English author who writes the most exquisite children's novels I've had the pleasure to read. She is proof that Children's literature has the capacity to be subversive and profound - my favourite novel of hers that I've read so far is Gullstruck Island, a story that deals with oppression, prejudice and discrimination as well as political and social rebellion. It's brilliant and Hardinge's prose is fantastic.

5. The Diviners by Libba Bray.

It's set in the 1920s! And has creepy supernatural shenanigans! The female protagonist is flawless! I love it so much that sometimes I just stand at my bookcase and stoke the spine adoringly. Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy is also great stuff; she's fast become one of my favourite authors that I've come across this year.

6. Kelley Armstrong.

This lady wrote the most badass series about kickass women and is responsible for the most life-ruining YA couple of all time. I am frankly embarrassing when I read her books so it's quite good that only my brother is ever around to see me flail tbh.

7. The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

This book has all my favourite things: classics, murder, death and incest :'D All set in a prestigious college; it's like Dead Poet Society except everyone is twisted and lacking in morals. Glorious.

8. The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan.

It's like Supernatural, except set in England. Also the sexiest ship, so sexy I can't handle it. Add the most terrible sibling relationship that kills me slowly with every interaction and a main character who is a) gay and b) badass and you have a series that I sometimes think was written just to fuck with my emotions.

9. THIS scene from The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.

Ronan, said Adam. Or maybe he only thought it.


If they don't make out at some point there is quite a good chance I will spontaneously combust from the combination of UST and heartbreak. 

10. THIS quote from Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Leviathan & Rachel Cohn.

“You know the reason The Beatles made it so big?...'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That's what everyone wants. Not 24/7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche...or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have such a feeling that they can't hide. Every single successful song of the past fifty years can be traced back to 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' And every single successful love story has those unbearable and unbearably exciting moments of hand-holding.”

I did not expect this level of profundity when I started reading, okay.

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful top ten list. Very different from all the others I've read this morning in a really good way! ...And I'd forgotten all about that quote from N&N!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to The Diviners!!! I loved that book! It was so thick and way out of the ordinary from what I normally read, but I'm so glad I did it!! 20's books are awesome! I also liked Nick & Norah ...and that quote is sweet :)


    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful list :-) I'm starting to agree with you about Patrick Ness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read Nick & Norah (love that quote), and Patrick Ness. I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my bookshelf right now. I need to move it up the list! Great list! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT SCENE in The Raven Boys, oh my GOD YES. Too many feeeeeeeels. Just thinking about it makes me want to reread the book now. I love Ronan and Adam so freaking much. Only bookish people would understand being thankful for certain scenes in books, but seriously. SO THANKFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you included scenes/quotes! I haven't read any of them or from Patrick Ness, but now I want to. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Code Name Verity! Seriously so amazing. I read it almost a year ago and I still tear up thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Diviners too... can't believe the second book is pushed back to August 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the quote at the end and went 'awww' and then I stopped and read it again and then I got emotional.

    I thank you guys for this wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found out that Kelley Armstrong's Bitten is going to become a show on Syfy starting in 2014. I watched the promo on YouTube. It shows promise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this list! I must admit that I don't have the reading context for about half of it >.> But it's so great that you love these books and authors so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Her taste in books and talent for book pushing has not been good for my mental health tbh." Don't look at me, there's something in my eye. Like a twig. Or maybe a branch.

    It's my goal to read all of these books, especially Code Name Verity and Patrick Ness's books. And that quote from Nick & Norah is brilliant. It almost makes me want to read the book. ALMOST. Because, y'know, Dash and Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WAIT, DID MY COMMENT JUST DISAPPEAR?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!